On January 8th 1866, Fr. Fortunatus Signini of the Fathers of Charity opened a school in Grangetown. This school (in the Brickyard as it was then called) was first used for Divine worship on July 11th 1869.
It was not however, until March 1873, that we have any record that this building was called St Patrick’s school. It served the needs of about 500 Catholics in the Grangetown district and the school had an average attendance of just over 100 children.
Cannon Hallahan arrived to take over the growing district of Grangetown in 1882 and immediately set to work and built the first Church which was opened on October 1st 1882. The Church was part of the old St Patrick’s school, (which was replaced in 1972).
In 1891 Fr. W.H. Brady became Parish Priest; he set himself the task of improving the school accommodation in 1897 and in 1901. Fr. Brady also realised that the Parish was growing and he secured a site for a new Church and presbytery in Grange Gardens. In May 1911 plans were drawn up for the building of the present presbytery which was completed in 1912. Meanwhile the site of the present Church was cultivated as allotments by two parishioners – Mr Michael Harrington and Mr Jeremiah Canty.
In 1916, Mgr. H. Irvine succeeded Fr. Brady and together with his curate, the Rev. Michael Davis he continued to raise funds for the building of the new Church.
In November 1921, the St Patrick’s Memorial Hall was opened in memory of the men of the Parish who died in the First World War.
In 1928, Mgr. Irvine was transferred and Canon F.H. Garret became Parish Priest. His Grace the Archbishop, Dr. Francis Mostyn gave Cannon Garret the immediate task of building the new Church at Grange Gardens.
The foundation stone was laid by the Archbishop on St. Patrick’s Day 1929 in the presence of about 4,000 men from all the Catholic parishes of Cardiff and a great concourse of people. Exactly one year later, on St. Patrick’s Day 1930, the new Church was opened..
Cannon Garret died in 1936 and he was succeeded by Canon Thomas Phelan. Under Canon Phelan the parish continued to develop and grow and became a spiritual force in the city.
When the Second World War began, the safety of his Church caused him to form a parish fire fighting group which gathered each evening in the vestry. Through the efforts of this unit in putting out fire bombs which fell on the roof, the Church was saved from destruction and Canon was always in the forefront.
After the war the nave of the Church began to show signs of of subsidence, but a massive job of reconstruction was put in hand at great cost. During all this time the Church was never closed for Divine Service.
Cannon Phelan died on November 13th 1970 and was succeeded by Canon C.P. Reidy who immediately made the consecration of the Church his first priority and on March 17th 1972 the consecration ceremony was performed by the Archbishop, Dr John A. Murphy. A new era in the history of St Patrick’s had begun.
With thanks to Joe O’Reilly for permission to reproduce some of his History of St. Patrick's.